Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Ps and Qs of Phu Quoc





With one week left in southern Vietnam is seemed sensible to meander down to the Mekong Delta for a day. The people on my trip were not so cool though. We were out on various boats all day and the first one stopped a a really cool market, but everyone must have been bored by it and went back to sit on the boat because it left early and had to come back to collect me at the dock! The trip was visually pleasant but nothing too exciting. Back in Saigon that evening I had a Vietnamese man thrust a snake in my face for fun - it almost killed me, but he found my reaction hilarious! The next day I headed down to booneyville, also known as Rach Gia, the port town to go to Phu Quoc (an island underneath Cambodia). I went by local bus and it was the first time I didn't see another single foreigner ALL DAY in this country. I also ended up being the only foreigner at my hotel on the island. Phu Quoc is known for it's peace and quiet (P & Q and is also a vaction destination for rich Vietnamese. The beautiful beaches on the island are 25 km away from all the accomodation and seeing as I don't drive motorbikes it mean't a LONG bike ride on a single speed in 30+ weather. I think 95% of the children I rode past ran out to the road to shout hello and wave as I went past. Back from Phu Quoc I headed to Chau Doc on the border and took a fast boat into Phnom Phen, Cambodia today. The best part of the trip was when we got off at immigration (the Vietnamese side) with all our bags to have them scanned and they were too lazy to turn on the machine so the bags went right back on the boat....ha ha ha. The photos are the market in the Delta, dragonfruit, me on Sao Beach on Phu Quoc, and the first tourist bus we saw in Phnom Phen (read the sign).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home