Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Back Through Bangkok




I stayed overnight in Bangkok on my way up to Chiang Mai which gave me the opportunity to visit the Grand Palace. It was a little overwhelming as you had a lot of amazing buildings crammed all together. I've included some photos. Jen and I also bravely spent the afternoon at the Snake Farm. It's been around since 1926 and was the second in the world (after Brazil I believe). In a nutshell, they've collected most of the dangerous snakes in southeast Asia and make anti-venoms from them. I believe it is part of the WHO and is a vital resource to this area. When you visit it you get to see the snakes, watch them be fed entire chicken drumsticks (which they completely digest in a few days) and see them milked for their venom. The venom is then injected into horses on a farm in the south who then produce antibodies against the venoms. The horses are usually blood donors for about 8 years and the blood is filtered to collect the anti-venom. I know I'm a science nerd, and maybe that's why I found this so cool. Jen was much braver than me and actually held one of the snakes! The photos is of some cobras.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home