Sunday, October 02, 2005

Chiang Mai





As most of you must know a typhoon hit the northern coast of Vietnam recently and the system has worked it's way across Laos to Thailand, namely Chiang Mai - where I am. This means that the city has been flooded for the third time this year, and marks the worst weather in the last 40 years for this region. Have no fear though because in Asia you simply snap your fingers and the weather changes. I decided to wait out the rain by busying myself with a Thai cooking course out in the country. It was very fun, and very filling. The picture is from when we did adventure cooking (no my head is not on fire - it just looks that way!). Now after gorging myself with Thai food it was time to go on a three day trek into the Pai area near the Burmese border. The most remarkable thing was that we had absolutely no rain! The trekking itself was not hard, but we did get to spend the evenings in bamboo huts with the hill tribes, go for elephant rides and raft back down the river! There were only three other French guys who came on the trip, two of which work for Airbus so know I have the inner knowledge of the massive A380. My favourite part was in the middle of the elephant ride when we stopped at the "tree store" to buy them bananas as a snack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home